I left my filter at the door and tried to be as honest as possible, because in all honesty, all we have are those who’ve already done what we want to do. We trust what they say and hope that it will give us SOMETHING to hold on to.
Mostly we just want them to say what we want to hear.. (which is that its easy, quick, rewarding, fun, etc…)
And though I know some of you have already discovered some of your own truths about blogging, I doubt that they will be the same.
Okay enough rambling, you get the picture. Just don’t say I didn’t warn you!
27 Not-So-Obvious Truths About Blogging
- You will feel like giving up
- You will forget why you started at some point (at said point is when you need to remind yourself)
- You will experience blog envy- the feeling that someone’s blog is better than yours (guess what? There are lots of blogs better than yours… Moving on)
- You will feel completely out of ideas to write about.. At some point.
- You won’t get more traffic to your blog by sitting on your ass
- You will have to promote the shit out of your blog and yourself
- You’ll misspell something or have a typo and some know-it-all will get pleasure at pointing it out to you.
- You’ll get pissed off
- You’ll hate your work
- You will feel like giving up… Again
- Longer isn’t always better, neither is shorter
- There are no rules about how often you should blog, but consistency is a MUST
- You will hate me for telling you that you won’t make money from your blog, but your business (which can be your blog) will make money
- It will seem like it comes easier to others (it doesn’t and I’ve been at it for YEARS)
- You will have to ask for what you want
- You will have to think of your blog as a business if you ever plan on making a business out of your blog (make sense?)
- You will need contracts
- You have to actually be social on social media… same for your blog and on other blogs too.
- Someone will disagree with you
- Someone who disagrees with you will let you know right on your blog where everyone can see it
- You won’t make everyone happy (this includes yourself at times)
- It takes more than clever ideas to keep a blog afloat (this is where I come in)
- Hiring a coach for your blog will automatically make you smarter (not really but kinda because it will expedite your blog greatness)
- You don’t have to like everything you write, sometimes you just have to put it down on paper
- Your mom will NEVER understand what you are doing (ever)
- You will feel like a second-class citizen when someone asks you what you do… (I still do at times)
- If second-class citizen means living and working by your own rules while making an impact… I’ll take it!
And the biggest truth is this: You cannot do it alone. You will need a network, you will need to help others before they will want to help you. You will have to realize that it’s not all about you and at the end of the day, no one cares about you or what you have to say.
They care about how you can help them, or how you are making an impact, what you are contributing…
Chew on that.
In the meantime sign up below to receive free blogging tips, love, and sometimes humor delivered straight to your inbox. You’ll be a better blogger for it. Cheers!